Category Archives: Community

Mountie Barry Kennedy on Policing and Life

IMG_1757

Sitting at our kitchen table last week, I asked Sergeant Barry Kennedy if he has ever needed to draw his gun in a dangerous situation. “Yes,” he said, “I had been a Mountie only 6 months the first time. I was trying to handcuff a guy. He pulled a knife and slashed at me. Fortunately the knife caught only my clothes. He settled down when I pulled the gun.”

He already wanted to be a police officer at age 10. Unlike most of us, he never let go of his boyhood dream. “My parents were very clear about right and wrong,” he said. “That influenced me.”

“I was only 140 pounds when I entered the RCMP training depot in Regina,” he remembers. “Most recruits come out lighter than when they went in. I weighed 160.” He now sports the sturdy frame of a stevedore at the Vancouver docks and seems at ease in his role of Detachment Commander in Princeton.

He welcomes change and has enjoyed a varied career in policing. In North Vancouver he was police liaison officer for 8 schools. “At first the students didn’t want to talk to me,” he said smiling. “By the end of the year they were saving a seat for me in the cafeteria at lunch time. In the malls they’d come up to me to chat.”

Sergeant Kennedy enjoys horses and for 8 successive years he applied for a position in the RCMP Musical Ride. Only 12 officers are chosen each year and there are usually about 400 applications. Finally he was selected and he loved it.

“We were away a lot from May to November. I participated in events in Switzerland, England, the U.S. and Canada. It was an opportunity to meet people from a variety of cultures and ethnic backgrounds. We found a common ground with them.”

I asked what role cannabis and other drugs play in policing. “A lot of crime is associated with marijuana,” he replied. “Bullying and theft are a couple of examples. People not involved don’t face the same issues.” In regard to the drug house in Hedley which people are unhappy about he said, “to get a search warrant, we need to show the court there is repeated use of a drug. High traffic flow would be of interest to us.” He welcomes information supplied by the community. The Mounties have a Regional Unit that comes out on request, when it has time, to assist with difficult situations.

Although he says, “I’ve always wanted to get the bad guys,” there is a decided community emphasis in his thinking and actions. He has a longstanding interest in hockey and has played goalie at the major junior level. He refs Princeton Posse games and instructs in the rules.

“I encourage officers to participate in the life of local communities,” he said. He cited the example of Corporal Chad Parsons being in the colour guard at a 100 year anniversary event in Hedley recently. “Community involvement and service is the legacy I want us to leave,” he said.

IMG_1751
When I asked what has surprised him in policing, he answered, “I’m surprised at the way the media blame the RCMP for everything.” On a more positive note he said, “there is a lot of good that happens. Not everyone agrees with everything we do, but I get meaning from doing what is right for most people.”

The message he likes to give is “this is your community. It will become whatever you allow. Parties on your street every night, fights, drugs, etc. If you see something that seems suspicious or wrong, call us.”

The Princeton Detachment has only 7 officers to police an enormous geographic area that ranges from Nickel Plate Rd. east of Hedley to Manning Park. For a Mountie on patrol in an isolated area it can be especially dangerous. On one such occasion in 2013, Sergeant Kennedy pulled over a vehicle and the driver exited brandishing a rifle. “If he had pointed it at me, I’d have had to shoot,” he said. For his wife and 4 children such incidents must be unnerving.

The next time we are annoyed at seeing those flashing lights appear unexpectedly behind us, we could remind ourselves that the Mountie in that cruiser has probably faced life threatening situations while protecting us.

Pow Wow A Pageantry Of Colour

IMG_1773

As Linda and I parked across the street from the Ashnola Campground on Saturday, we could hear the distinct, steady boom of a large drum. Somewhat akin to the toll of a village church bell summoning the faithful, the drum was announcing that afternoon’s session of the Lower Similkameen Indian Band Pow Wow. At the entrance to the circle of bleachers, we saw dancers in elaborate, colourful regalia assembling for the Grand Entry into the performance arena. We were about to experience the Similkameen Pow Wow of Champions.

In a phone conversation several days earlier, one of the organizers, Wendy Terbasket had told me a Pow Wow is “a social and contest event. There are competitions in singing, dancing and drumming. The dancing is about prayer,” she said. “While dancing you think about people who can’t.”

Smiling Fawn Sound Woman, a mother & grandmother, who said "The Pow Wow is a way of teaching the children our traditions."
Smiling Fawn Sound Woman, a mother & grandmother, who said “The Pow Wow is a way of teaching the children our traditions.”

We would also learn it is about family and culture. Some of the dancers were barely past the learning to walk stage. Young parents and grand parents were making an effort to keep the children involved.

Leon Crane Bear
Leon Crane Bear

Noticing a man in an especially intricate regalia, I asked if I could take his photo. He agreed readily and told us he is a Blackfoot (Siksika) from Alberta. His name is Leon Crane Bear and he has an M.A. in Native American Studies.

The ceremony began with a brief talk and prayer by an Elder. She prayed earnestly for her people, especially youth who have gone astray. “We must love them and give them a hug,” she said. She also prayed for people with cancer and other illnesses, and those who have passed on. I sensed her deep desire to see the values and culture of her people transmitted to the next generation.

IMG_1780

The dancers, a wonderful splash of colour, now proceeded with great dignity onto the grass floor of the arena. Here their pent up excitement and energy was released in eye pleasing dances, accompanied by drumming and singing. There were too many to count, children, youth, adults and some elderly individuals. It was an impressive moment of joy and exhilaration for dancers and audience.

Moonlite and the other princesses were introduced as "The Royalty"
Moonlite and the other princesses were introduced as “The Royalty”

I wandered away several times from the arena to speak with individual dancers waiting to perform. Moonlite was one of the princesses honoured by the MC. Some of her brief address to the audience had been in the Okanagan language. She permitted me to take several photos and said her ambition is to become a psychologist.

I also spoke with Tyler Jensen. His outfit had cost him about $1800 but still needs beadwork, which will be costly. Many dancers do some or all the work themselves. I gathered that being a dancer involves commitment of time, energy and funds.

Kirshon Terbasket
Kirshon Terbasket

For Wendy and Lauren Terbasket, the initiation of their 7 year old nephew Kirshon into the Pow Wow gave special significance to the event. The initiation included several dances in which he was central. Steven Point, a provincial judge and former Lieutenant Governor of B.C., was present to witness the ceremony. Laurence Trottier, a respected dancer, singer, and friend of the family spoke in Kirshon’s honour. For the Terbasket family it was a memorable occasion.

IMG_1771

In a conversation with Lauren I came to a greater understanding of the Pow Wow. “Our committee spends the whole year planning,” she said. “We get a lot of help from the community.” She especially appreciates the assistance given by Darlene Choo of Bright Light Pictures and also Gorman Brothers.

IMG_1778

“The singing and dancing heal the participants and the onlookers,” she believes. “It’s a celebration dance and it draws families together. We want children to participate at a young age. We give them each $5.00 for dancing. Pow Wows help keep the culture alive. We don’t allow any drugs or alcohol.”

IMG_1770

Lauren paused for a moment to consider, then said “the drum beat is the heart beat of the people. Watching the dancers makes you feel good. It lifts up the spirit and heart. The Pow Wow is our way of giving to the people. Blessing comes when we give.”

When we left, I was impressed with the organization and efficiency of the Pow Wow. Equally important is the emphasis on teaching values and culture, giving young people a sense of pride in their heritage, and striving to keep families intact. As we drove away, the big drum was still booming.

Lydia’s Sense of Community

Lydia with Chica & Rico
Lydia with Chica & Rico

When she dresses as a member of the Hedley Heritage Ladies, Lydia Sawicki has the appearance of a sweet gentle lady from the early 1900’s. It’s best not to be deceived by this sedate outer image though. After a recent conversation with her, I came away with the impression she has enough octane to power a heavily loaded highway rig.

Lydia learned early not everyone would agree with her goals or methods. Her parents didn’t understand the value of an education. When she turned 15, they suggested she discontinue attending school. But she loved learning and had already read all the Russian classics.

At this time she ran away from home, and made her way to Chile to work with those seeking a transition to democracy. Here she learned Spanish and obtained her grade 12. The Spanish now enables her to work from her home as an interpreter in courts, hospitals and other situations where interpretation is needed.

In addition to providing fluency in Spanish, the Chile experience gave her some useful understandings about people and how to get things done. “It was the time of the despotic Pinochet regime,” she said. “In the election, government goons were waiting for the people at the polls. The people didn’t flinch. They came in large numbers, linking arms, eight abreast across the street.” She began to understand that “everything is doable.” She learned the importance of people being connected and striving together toward a common goal.

Lydia didn’t begin working toward a B.A. until she was 33 and had 2 children and a job. After investing 5 years toward a PhD, illness interrupted her studies. “I had done the teaching and the publishing,” she said. “I just needed to write my thesis. It’s still there for me to complete, but I no longer feel I need it to do what I consider important.” Her educational emphasis was in the realm of inequality, especially among marginalized groups such as the poor, disabled, and aboriginal people. Now her life is committed to taking practical action on the troubling issues she sees around her.

Upon arriving in Hedley 6 years ago, she didn’t wait for an invitation to get involved. Hiking along 20 Mile Creek with her 2 boxers, both rescue dogs ordered from a pound in L.A., she became disturbed at the refuse dumped in this awe inspiring wilderness.

Sign painted on lid of dumped cyanide container.
Sign painted on lid of dumped cyanide container.

Something needed to be done. “I began working with others interested in cleaning up along the creek,” she said. “We set up a website, wildernessdumping.org. I always look for people who have the same concern and are willing to take action. Some people ask why we’re doing this, and why they should help. I tell them it’s our garbage and our town. We’re all responsible. When I know who dumped refuse I ask them to help. Some do.” To this time they’ve removed 120 discarded tires, also fridges and stoves and other furniture. It is her view that “we all need to accept responsibility for the earth and those less fortunate.”

In all her endeavours, she attempts to connect with others and use the structures that exist. When schools in Grand Forks were replacing their computers, a recycling program was begun. The schools and other donors gave their used computers to disadvantaged people. “We provided support for people taking on the technological age for the first time. Some of those people went on to become teachers and computer engineers.”

Lydia as a vendor at the Farmers Market & Sunday Fair
Lydia as a vendor at the Farmers Market & Sunday Fair

Currently she is president of the Hedley Farmers Market & Sunday Fair. For her it is gratifying that members are committed and working cooperatively. The market and fair are growing and they usually have 10 – 12 vendors. “It’s an opportunity to educate people about eating well and buying local,” she said, then added, “a lot gets donated at the end.” She is pleased that people from all organizations in Hedley are involved in the market & fair.

At the end of our conversation Lydia emphasized she thinks of herself simply as one individual working with others to make a positive difference in our community. “It is important for people to be connected,” she said. “When we focus on what we have in common and not on that which divides us, we can work together to build a stronger, more enjoyable community.”

Ceremony at Hedley Cenotaph

20150824_080459I’ve many times passed by the Cenotaph on Scott Avenue, Hedley’s main street, almost invariably without thinking about what it represents. This began to change in the winter of 2013 when our neighbour Andy English became keenly interested in it. His fascination developed into an intensive research project. In the spring of 2014 Jennifer Douglass, another local historical researcher, joined him in his quest for knowledge about the names on the Cenotaph.

Andy’s excitement about their research findings developed into a passion and he talked about it almost incessantly. One day his wife Kim said to him, “Andy, can we talk about something other than war for a change?” Jennifer’s enthusiasm matched Andy’s.

Because of their research we now know that the Cenotaph is situated at the very place where 17 Hedley men gathered on August 24, 1915, prior to leaving for Penticton to enlist in the Canadian Armed Forces.

These men were in the prime of life and all passed the physical exam. A couple of the men,  Blair Mills and Tom Corrigan, were 19. Tommy Knowles, future Postmaster of Hedley was 22. Alec Jack was 24. At the other end of the age spectrum were Joe Rotherham and Dan Devane, both 44.

The younger men were at a time in their lives when they were observing the young ladies, wondering which one would make a good life partner.

Hedley at this time was a bustling gold mining centre. There were parties and dances to attend. They were all single and all gainfully employed. There was money to have a good time.

They set this all aside and voluntarily enlisted. Some men had already gone before the 17, and others followed somewhat later. It’s easy to think they were looking for adventure. They must have heard or read about war conditions though, and it is doubtful they made their decision based on a thirst for excitement.

They must have realized they’d probably spend time living and fighting in trenches. These trenches were often muddy, sometimes at least partially filled with water. Snipers would be constantly watching, ready to shoot. At times there would be poisonous gas in the air, and enormous shells exploding around them.

This past Saturday at 1:30 pm, August 22nd the people of Hedley, and also approximately 56 descendants of the recruits, came together at the Cenotaph. This is the  place where the recruits stood 100 years ago. Corporal Chad Parsons, a Princeton Mountie in red serge was present. There was also a colour guard consisting of veterans from the Princeton and Keremeos Legion. A rose was placed for each soldier at the foot of the Cenotaph. Many of the roses were placed by descendants. A couple of elderly vets respectfully saluted after placing a rose. Tears were in evidence, especially on the faces of family members.

20150822_124909

Jennifer Douglass and Andy English. They did the research and organized the events to commemorate the recruits and the ceremony honouring the 17 men who had volunteered to enlist at that time. The men departed in 5 vehicles bedecked with banners that read “Recruits from Hedley, the Machine Gun Town.”

IMG_1655

Bag Piper Dave Thorpe, Corporal Chad Parsons, and a Flag Bearer leading the Colour Guard.

IMG_1656

The Colour Guard facing the Cenotaph. Corporal Chad Parsons with veterans from the Princeton and Keremeos Legion.

IMG_1658

MLA Linda Larson speaking about her grandfather who participated in the taking of Vimy Ridge in WWI. Several years ago she traveled there, and found it to be a very moving experience.

IMG_1659

Art Liddicoat, age97 of Keremeos laying a rose for his father, Bill Liddicoat. Bill was 28 when he volunteered.

20150821_183225

Moira Herold (in center of photo), daughter of Alec Jack. She placed a rose for her father.

IMG_1693

Chris Fraser and Stephanie Malahoff. Stephanie is the granddaughter of Alec Jack. He was 24 when he enlisted. Stephanie said when he arrived here from Scotland, he threw his bowler hat and long johns in the Similkameen River. He developed a strong interest in the history of B.C.

IMG_1689

Pat and Grace Dolden. Pat is the grandson of Dan Dollemore who enlisted in December, 1914 at age 17. He was working as a Teamster at the time he enlisted. Pat is also the great nephew of Frank Dollemore, who is one of the 17 who enlisted on August 24, 1915.

IMG_1691

Ann Lloyd (nee Knowles) and Beverly Knowles. Daughters of Tom Knowles who enlisted at age 22 and won an award for Bravery in the Field. He later became Hedley’s longest serving Postmaster to this time.

IMG_1667

Bill Day managed to find and borrow two authentic WWI machine guns in Vancouver. The one on a higher frame is a Vickers. The frame is extremely heavy to ensure stability when firing. This gun required a team of 6 men to move it. It was intended to be stationery. The Lewis required 3 men. Two carried the ammunition and one did the shooting. Being lighter, it was intended to be mobile.

IMG_1675

Preparing to sing O Canada at an event in the back yard of the Hedley Heritage Museum. Almost 100 guests were present for dinner and a program.

IMG_1679
M.C.  Angelique Wood accompanied Bill Day as he led the singing of old time tunes popular during the WWI years.

IMG_1676

Derek Lilly reading the speech delivered by W.A. McLean at a “Smoker” the evening prior to the men leaving for Penticton to recruit. Before the speech, 6 men had volunteered. It was a rousing, inspirational speech. When he sat down, 23 year old Bert Schubert was inspired to join the 6 volunteers at the front of the room. Then others rose from their seats and joined the original group until there were 17 men declaring their intention to enlist. The program featured letters written by Hedley men from the Front.

IMG_1677

Letters were read by the Hedley Heritage Ladies.  Censorship prevented a full account of the war experience, but readers did receive some understanding of the dangers, discomforts and difficulties at the Front. The men expressed great gratitude to the people of the town for their support, especially the socks knitted by the ladies.  It was evident in these letters that the excitement they had experienced at the send off from Hedley was now only a memory.

Hedley Summer Festival

IMG_1585

This past Saturday Hedley’s main street was blocked off by cars at one end of Woodlie Park and a long trailer at the other. For the second consecutive year, citizens of Hedley and nearby communities enjoyed an outdoor roast beef dinner and street dance. Last year it was billed as a Hedley Reunion. It was a roaring success and the organizers decided to do it again, except this time it was a dinner and western dance. The event had the celebratory feeling of a summer festival. For $10 per dinner and another $10 if you wanted to dance, it really was a bargain. Last year they showed a profit and gave the money to local clubs. They plan to do the same this year.

IMG_1576

Jay St. Germaine (Stirling Creek Ranch) & great nephew handing out horseshoes
Jay St. Germaine (Stirling Creek Ranch) & great nephew handing out horseshoes

Children and young people delighted bystanders by riding the mechanical bull.  Cowboy philosopher poet, Grant Stone, elicited chuckles and laughter with his hilarious accounts of unlikely happenings. Music for the dance was provided by the popular Okanagan group, Dale Seaman & Highway 97.

Dale Seaman & Hwy 97 found shelter from the rain in front of the  Post Office
Dale Seaman & Hwy 97 found shelter from the rain in front of the Post Office

One of the highlights of the event was Gabby’s Girls Dance Team of Langley, B.C. This troupe of talented, enthusiastic, effervescent, lovely young gals were a terrific crowd pleaser. It was evident they love what they do and wanted spectators to have a great time. Their fun loving, light hearted spirit was infectious.

Gabby's Girls Dance Team
Gabby’s Girls Dance Team

According to Kelda, director of the group, they teach and promote “line dancing with attitude”. They perform at weddings, festivals and other events. Assistant director Victoria said they have a girls’ time prior to each practise. This is a time to chat and get to know each other better. Currently they have 8 members and space for 4 more. They practise 2 hours 2 times per week. These girls know how to dazzle a crowd.

Good friends having a visit just before the rain.
Good friends having a visit just before the rain.

In spite of a heavy rain shower just as guests were at a long table filling their plates, people persevered and once again the summer festival was a huge success. Organizers Don Armstrong, Sharon Sund and Judy Turner of Hedley, and Darryl McDonald of Cawston put together a program that entertained in great style.

Organizers Don Armstrong, Sharon Sund,  Darryl McDonald (Judy Turner missing)
Organizers Don Armstrong, Sharon Sund,
Darryl McDonald (Judy Turner missing)

Summer Snapshots of Hedley Scenes

IMG_1556

Ben, a good neighbour and a master gardener.

IMG_1412

I discovered these lovely maidens beside a building at the Hedley Farmer’s Market. Just enjoying friendship.

IMG_1416

Steve, filling his plate at the Hedley Grace Church picnic.

IMG_1404

Ladies from the church singing at the Hedley Farmer’s Market. Several gals from Keremeos joined them.

IMG_1417

Eric and Lorraine, relaxing at the church picnic.

Royal Goes to Camp Tulahead

IMG_1470

Just over a week ago Linda and I drove Royal to Camp Tulahead . The camp is situated in a narrow section of the valley between Princeton and Merritt. It’s a pristine, peaceful setting, a perfect place for children and youths to forget about whatever issues they had at school and get away from parents and siblings. Tulahead also offers an opportunity to challenge body, mind and spirit. Royal has been to the camp in previous years, as has his older sister Tabitha. The family has always participated fully and energetically in the bottle drive organized by Hedley Grace Church to help with expenses. Some families contribute toward the tuition. The church covers the shortfall.

A week later when we returned to the camp to pick up Royal, he took us on a mini tour of the place, beginning with the climbing wall. He estimated it to be about 30 feet high. A good estimate, I thought. I would have loved to watch the campers climb it, but had to be content with a couple of photos.

Royal at the climbing wall
Royal at the climbing wall

He also showed us the outdoor chapel where the campers and staff meet in the morning. Surrounded by trees, it’s rustic but quite adequate. Here they sing, pray, listen to a meditation, and engage in meditation themselves if they choose to.

One of the highlights for Royal was winning an archery contest. He does archery at home so he has experience with a bow. Being lean and fit is a benefit in archery.

Tim, the camp director was wandering among the campers and came to us for a chat. He said Royal had done well, which we were pleased to hear. While we were asking Tim questions about the camp, Royal joined a small group of friends. I asked if I could take a picture for the blog. They seemed pleased and readily agreed.

IMG_1553

When we arrived back at his home just east of Hedley, he thanked us and gave us each a warm hug. We sensed that the week at Camp Tulahead had produced some very positive inner growth.

A Memorable Sikh Wedding Experience

Last week Linda and I were once again reminded that a Sikh wedding is a joyous festival celebrating community, faith, culture, friendship, food and marriage. Like the approximately 600 guests in attendance, we were caught up by the aura of anticipation, pageantry and sense of reverence for marriage.

The invitation to the wedding came from Lucky (Lakhbir) and Santosh Farwaha, parents of Nikki, the captivatingly lovely bride. For many years the Farwahas lived across the street from my family. Sometimes late in the evening, Mom and Dad visited them. If they were having a late dinner, they always said, “come and eat with us.” In time Lucky began addressing them as Mom and Dad. The Farwahas adopted us as family and we adopted them.

It was about 9 a.m. when guests began arriving for the wedding at the Temple (Gurdwara) in Mission. The men wore mostly dark suits. The ladies with their sarees and scarves provided a delightful splash of brilliant red, yellow, green, blue. Their attire indicated to us these people consider marriage important.

Jaspar, Art & Lucky
Jaspar, Art & Lucky

In the midst of the throng gathering outside the temple, Lucky noticed us. “Sat siri akal brother,” he said. I greeted him in like manner. Linda snapped a hasty picture of me with him and his brother Jaspar. Lucky doesn’t stand still long and now he needed to rush away to greet other guests. He told me later, “we’ve had gatherings all week.” Weddings are viewed as an opportunity to see friends, party, and also bless the bride and groom.

Govind, the groom
Govind, the groom

The groom, Govind, was now waiting with several men near the Temple entrance. His gold wedding attire, turban, pointed gold shoes, and ceremonial sword gave the appearance of nobility. An exuberant four man band in uniform was approaching, followed by dancers. This was the Barat, a wedding procession of the groom’s friends and family.

3 Band Members
3 Band Members

The bride, in an ornate gold and red dress, and her family came from inside the temple to formally meet the groom and his family. Following this ceremony, everyone entered a spacious dining hall with tables and chairs. People were forming lines to where treats, juice and Indian tea were set out. A helpful lady informed Linda she should join the line of women. I went with the men.

Nikki, the bride & her mother, Santosh
Nikki, the bride & her mother, Santosh

After refreshments, we made our way to the main meeting hall. As required, Linda and I covered our heads and removed our shoes. An elderly man explained to me this is an act of reverence for the Sikh Holy Book.

In the meeting hall women sat on one side of the aisle, men on the other. Before sitting down, many guests walked reverently to the front to bow before the Holy Book. We sat cross legged on a carpeted floor. There were no chairs.

The priest obligingly poses for a photo
The priest obligingly poses for a photo

After singing by several men, the priest, a tall lean man clad in white and wearing a black turban, addressed the bride and groom in Punjabi. He then read four Laavs (verses of a hymn). The words, emphasizing Sikh values and faith, were displayed in English on an overhead monitor. After each Laav, the bride walked around the Holy Book, following the Groom. In this she was accompanied first by her sister Sandy. At prescribed points, others took turns walking with her. It was a show of family support and solidarity. Upon completing this ritual, Nikki and Govind were husband and wife. Once again there was singing, counsel and prayer.

Govind & Nikki, now husband & wife
Govind & Nikki, now husband & wife

MP Jinny Sim then spoke in English. “Go to the PNE and ride on the roller coaster,” she advised Nikki and Govind. “You’ll find married life is much like the ups and downs of the roller coaster experience”.

To mark the end of the ceremony, several men then walked among the guests, distributing Karah Prashad, a sweet sacramental pudding. A reception and sumptuous Punjabi meal followed. Lucky and Santosh had spared no expense to provide a marriage experience Nikki and Govind would treasure.

Govind & Nikki, with supportive family & friends
Govind & Nikki, with supportive family & friends

Later, on our drive back to Hedley, Linda and I agreed the wedding had been a pleasing intertwining of Sikh faith, community, culture and values. For Nikki and Govind, the rich experience will provide lasting memories, an undergirding for a lifelong relationship. They will continue to receive support from their community, something that would be of benefit to every marriage and every family in our country.

Hedley Heritage Ladies Promote Past

IMG_1333

The Hedley Heritage Ladies are re-enacting a common scene from the community’s gold mining past. They are having tea in front of one of the historic log structures at the Hedley Museum. On Sunday, June 21, 2015 (9:00 am to 1:00 pm) they will be at the Hedley Farmers’ Market and Sunday Fair, located across from the main Museum building near Highway 3. They will visit other events in the Similkameen Valley in the coming months.

It is their desire to create interest in Hedley’s colourful characters and rich gold strikes during the boom town years. They also hope to draw attention to the often unrecognized roles of women in the past. From left to right they are Peggy Terry, Lydia Sawicki, Ruth Woodin and Lynn Wells.

Hedley Heritage Ladies in front of the historic Hedley Grace Church
Hedley Heritage Ladies in front of the historic Hedley Grace Church

Hedley Heritage Ladies draw attention to new Museum sign in the background
Hedley Heritage Ladies draw attention to new Museum sign in the background

Hedley Bottle Drive a Marathon Event

IMG_1312

The recent Hedley Bottle Drive was a marathon event requiring great mental tenacity and physical endurance. Twenty-one volunteers worked tirelessly in the blistering sun at the front of the Fire Hall or battled pitiless, marauding no-see-ums inside. Sponsored by the Hedley Grace Church, bottle drives have been staged for a number of years for the purpose of sending local children and youth to Camp Tulahead, located on Highway 5A. Usually they are held in both spring and fall, but last year the one in fall was cancelled. This was the reason for the intimidating mound of cans and bottles in front of the Fire Hall and for the longer sorting time.

“Some people in the community contribute bottles and cans throughout the year to support what we are doing,” Pastor Graham Gore said. “They consider it a worthy cause.”

Last year the church sent 14 children and teens to camp. The bottle drive doesn’t cover the full cost of $600 per child. “Contributions from people in the church make up the difference,” Pastor Gore said. “ Sometimes parents and others in the community also give money for this. We’ve never denied anyone the opportunity of going to camp.” To this time they have 9 registrations for this summer’s camp.

Pastor Gore expressed appreciation for the help of volunteers, some of whom are not connected to the church. Among those representing community organizations were Doug and TJ Bratt of the Community Club and the Country Market. They showed up with their son Jake and two grand daughters. Doug also brought 2 cases of pop. Beryl Wallace, president of the Seniors’ Centre and an attendee of the church came. Linda Martens, vice president of the Hedley Museum Society was there. Dave Peers, Fire Fighter and a Trustee of the Hedley Improvement District ,volunteered his time and energy. Angelique Wood, currently on leave from the fire department and the local, federal NDP candidate, also helped. Lynn McKay, a member of several organizations, worked tirelessly as in past years. Also Steve, a senior who just wanted to do something for the community. Six teens participated. Julie, who was on duty at the Country Market, paid for apples and bananas to give workers a boost of energy.

Doug Nimchuk, representing the Fire Department and the church, was event organizer. His duties kept him there from before 9 am until 7:00 pm. Peggy Terry, a church attendee, looks after the financial matters.

At the end of the bottle drive there were weary backs and sore feet. The thoughts and emotions though, were positive. One teen summed up what most volunteers were probably thinking when she said, “this is the most satisfying day I’ve had in a long time.” When people work together, good things get done.