Category Archives: Community

Divergent Responses To COVID-19

COVID-19 Message posted on Hedley Post Office Bulletin Board.

In the Hedley Post Office someone has placed a message on the bulletin board. It says, “No Means No.” The writer is deeply concerned about COVID-19 and advocates a monastic level of abstinence from social interaction.

In an email, Irvin expressed a vastly different perspective. He wrote: “Canada, true North, not so strong and Definitely not free. Closed the borders, made it illegal to gather in larger groups, restricted national travel, put people and businesses out of work. Created lineups just to get groceries.”

It is evident these two messages come from individuals who view circumstances and the world through very different prisms. I don’t know who placed the message in the Post Office. I do know Irvin though and we communicate by email regularly. I’m aware he devotes many night time hours to sitting in front of his computer, searching for “alternative truths” concerning COVID-19. We are friends but rarely agree on important issues.

I decided to respond to his litany of complaints. “Irvin,” I wrote, “I can understand that you’re becoming impatient with the restrictions. You just want everything to return to the way things were before the virus. We all want that, but our political leaders and medical experts are beginning to caution us we need to expect a ‘new normal.’ Dr. Bonnie Henry has said it’s very unlikely we’ll get to zero cases in our country this summer. She has said we really are in uncharted territory and if we are complacent we could be hit by a second wave. Then everything we have gained and the price we have all paid would be for nothing.”

The Hedley Country Market is doing its part to keep the community safe.

There was more I wanted to say. I heard this week that a new mutation had already been detected in February, and British researchers have reported numerous unanticipated mutations. Dr. Henry has described COVID-19 as “devious.” Dr.Theresa Tan, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, has admitted that “there is still much more we don’t know about this virus, like the extent of silent spread by nonsymptomatic individuals. It’s the most transmissible virus we’ve seen to this time. We’re trying to understand it.” From our many discussions over the years, I realize Irvin has a limited attention span, especially when he disagrees with my opinion, which is most of the time. Knowing he will discount anything I have to say on this subject, I didn’t mention these last items.

Irvin responded within minutes. “Art,” he wrote, “you’re listening to the wrong people. I agree with President Trump. It’s time to get the economy going. He believes America will be highly prosperous again soon. I read online this morning that the Democrats want to use the virus to destroy the U.S. dollar so they can impose even greater restrictions. I’m sending you some blogsites to look at so you will have accurate information.”

The blogsites were pretty much a jumble of confusing conspiracy theories. The lens through which he was looking offered a distorted view of reality. I do understand Irvin’s fervent desire for a return to our nation’s earlier “normal” state. Not having been able to visit Linda’s 96 year old mother, or our children and grandchildren, we have it too. We’re in difficult times though, and just wishing it won’t make it reality. Neither will Donald Trump’s confident assertions bring a speedy return to health and prosperity.

I decided not to trouble Irvin with possible economic ramifications of the virus. Canadians already have record debt levels. Will we be able to do our part in breathing life back into a battered economy? Also, many of our most important corporations are losing money and laying off employees. Air Canada reported losing a billion dollars in the first quarter of 2020. The federal and provincial governments are borrowing and giving away tens of billions, which surely will have to be repaid. In spite of Prime Minister Trudeau’s talk of “when our economy comes roaring back,” it may take more time than we like.

I’m aware that my perspective will be discounted by Irvin, and probably many others, anxious to get back to normal. Even though we may not be convinced that “No Means No”, to avoid further grief in coming months, we’ll be wise to heed the advice of Dr. Henry and other medical authorities. Also, except for the very wealthy, this may not be an ideal time to place an order for a new Ferrari.

Band Elders Celebrate Birthdays

Elders Barb Schram (left) & Stella Snow (right) with Elvis impersonator Levi Bent. Both Elders celebrated their birthday with friends at the LSIB Family Centre.

I was immediately aware of an animated buzz of conversation when Linda and I entered the Lower Similkameen Indian Band Family Centre in Cawston. Approximately 40 Elders were already seated at two long tables, obviously delighted to see their friends. I sensed an aura of mutual respect and reverence, and also joy.

We had been invited by Stella Snow, who for some years has been a force in organizing social functions for Elders. She’s a lady with the will and skill to get things done. “Each month we meet to celebrate the birthdays of Band Elders,” she told us. “We have a meal and then we usually play disco bingo. Today an Elvis impersonator will perform for us.”

This month Stella was one of half a dozen Elders celebrating birthdays. I asked her to tell us about herself. “I was born in Merritt,” she began. “My birth mother had a problem with alcohol and couldn’t look after me and my twin brother. At six weeks we were sent to live with Teresa Squakin, a childless woman in the Lower Band. She didn’t adopt me formally, but she was very good to me and became my mother. She took in quite a few children. Being fluent in the Okanagan tongue, this is what we spoke in our home. When I started school I didn’t speak English and my teachers scolded me and twisted my ears for speaking Okanagan. For my mother it was not an easy time. There was no family allowance and we didn’t have electricity. To wash clothes we used a washboard. My birth mother showed no interest in me and I saw her only once.”

Now confident and articulate, she isn’t content to just watch others making things happen. “I cooked for up to 5,000 people at a National Conference in Edmonton,” she said. “I try to involve Elders in events. I brought 12 Elders to the National Conference. We teamed up with the Penticton Band. They rented a Greyhound bus and we paid them one hundred dollars each.”

Stella worked as an alcohol treatment counselor, and also as a homemaker. For some years she was a foster mother but needed to back away from this when she was diagnosed with cancer. She underwent treatment, then undaunted, again plunged wholeheartedly into band activities. Being fluent in the Okanagan language she is a translator for the band.

Noticing that people were beginning to line up for the buffet, Stella urged us to join them. Various Elders had contributed their specialty and it was a tantalizing array. I was pleased when I saw that Margaret Thomas had brought her fried bread. She’s a master of the craft and I felt lucky to get a piece.

When we had tucked as much food as possible into our stomachs, including a generous slice of delicious birthday cake, it was time to step back into the past with Levi Bent, the Elvis impersonator. I had talked with him briefly before the meal and had found him to be quiet spoken and modest, at best a low key version of Elvis. When he stepped to the mike though, his persona became instantly transformed, as though a bolt of lightning had energized him.

Levi performed popular tunes like “Don’t be Cruel, Falling in Love with You, and Don’t Step on my Blue Suede Shoes.” His intricate foot work and body moves were classic Elvis. I was reminded of the days when the famed entertainer induced heights of ecstasy and giddiness in teeny boppers, and even swooning. We were an approving audience. Some Elders sang along or just nodded their heads with the music. When Levi sang a verse of “You’re Nothing But a Hound Dog” in the Okanagan tongue, we were all delighted.

Levi Bent in one of his ‘Elvis Moves’.

Later I asked Levi about his onstage persona. “Elvis is my main influence,” he said, “also dancing in Pow Wows.” He’s a member of the LSIB.

Levi’s parents were present. “A couple of years ago Levi attended an Elvis impersonators concert,” his mother told me. “When he came out of there he was convinced he could do that.

Watching Levi perform, eating Margaret’s fried bread and other sumptuous dishes, having conversations with Elders and hearing the Okanagan language, for Linda and me it was an uplifting, soul enriching experience.

Sergeant Rob Hughes At Hedley Town Meeting

Sergeant Hughes discussing an issue with Hedley resident, Lindsay Fairweather

In a meeting with Hedley citizens Thursday evening, Sergeant Rob Hughes of the Princeton RCMP answered many questions about local concerns. He admitted at the outset he has not participated in this type of forum previously. He said he had desired the meeting because of a recent issue that had caused anxiety for residents. Upward of 50 people attended in spite of steadily falling snow, indicating a considerable depth of concern.

Sergeant Hughes quickly established guidelines for the discussion. “My purpose in being here is to begin a dialogue with the community,” he said. “We’re not going to attack particular individuals or dwellings. I want the police to have a constructive relationship with the people of this community. ”

Even so, the matter of an alleged drug house in town was mentioned repeatedly by attendees. One distraught mother said her teenage daughter had been given drugs and then physically and sexually assaulted. “If drugs are being sold,” the Sergeant responded, “it means there is a market. The users need help, and the community can get involved in that.”

One individual replied, “We don’t have contact with these people. They aren’t part of our community. They have their own community.” Some in the audience felt otherwise, saying they had interactions with some of the drug users.

Sergeant Hughes wanted to foster a more complete understanding of the nature of police work. He emphasized that police cannot conduct a search or make an arrest on the basis of an anonymous complaint. “The benchmark to get a search warrant is very, very high,” he said. “We can’t just target a person because the community is mad at them. Often when a complaint is called in, there is an unwillingness to provide a name and address, make a statement, or appear in court to support the complaint.” Several individuals mentioned fear of retaliation if a complaint is made.

Hughes recognized that at times this is a significant impediment but stressed the importance of keeping the police informed. “We need you to call in when you have a concern. We have 7 officers with a very large territory to patrol and protect. Statistics determine how many officers the province assigns to a detachment. Your calls give the province the statistical information required to assure you receive the attention you want and need.”

“How often should we call in?” one member of the audience asked. The response was, “We want you to call in as often as it takes for you to feel safe.” When someone suggested going to the local dealer to buy drugs for evidence, Sergeant Hughes said, “That’s a dangerous idea. It could put your life at risk. Let’s get a good relationship between this community and the police and work together.”

Throughout the meeting Sergeant Hughes had taken notes concerning specific issues and concerns, and promised to look into them. At 7:30 he glanced at his watch and closed the meeting. For him it wasn’t the end though. A number of individuals lined up to speak with him. Others gathered around Constable Rogers, who had accompanied the Sergeant. Small discussions continued elsewhere in the hall.

For those in attendance, the forum provided insight into the challenges of police work. For many it also pointed to the importance of collaborating with the police and local organizations to construct a community in which we feel safe. “It’s a good beginning,” Russ Stony said. Sergeant Hughes agreed it was a productive first step, but recognized more needs to be done. “I’m prepared to come out again,” he said, “possibly in 4 to 6 months.”

RDOS Director Talks About Rookie Year

Tim Roberts, RDOS Area G Director

A few weeks ago, at the end of his rookie year in politics, Tim Roberts agreed to talk about his experience as an RDOS director to this time. “I knew it would be difficult,” he began. “It’s been a steep learning curve, and the learning isn’t nearly done.” He leaned back in his chair, then after a moment of reflection said, “It is easier, though, when I believe what I’m doing is right.”

Running for Area G Director was not a spur of the moment decision for Tim. “I was asked several times over the years to let my name stand,” he said, “but I was concerned it might interfere with my advocacy for community health. As a paramedic with the BC Ambulance Service, I go into a lot of homes. I didn’t want people to feel uncomfortable when they invite me into their home or their crises. I asked a doctor and also a health lead at the band if this would jeopardize my relationships.”

Even then he pondered until the last day, and just about the last minute, before submitting his name. The hesitation seems to suggest his motivation is not to acquire prestige or power. He appears to genuinely hope to make a substantive contribution to Similkameen communities.

As he talked, it became evident to me Tim has an inquiring mind and a steely resolve, essentials for navigating the often confusing bureaucratic maze that inevitably develops in government. He recognizes the importance of understanding concepts and systems. “I ask a lot of questions,” he said, “like what is the bylaw for this particular issue, and what does it mean? I need to know who has jurisdiction and what is their mandate. I want to understand how the RDOS functions. Asking questions helps me decide if an idea is worth pursuing.”

Tim explained that the RDOS is a mechanism for the provincial government to deliver services to unincorporated areas. “I think of it as a tool box to get things done. Sometimes I wonder why we can do this, but not that. It has taken me a year to learn how to ask questions in a way that provides information I need. To adjust spending I at times have to go to the province.”

Tim thinks of himself as an advocate, not a politician. “One of my goals is to educate people as to how the system works. I try to find out what people need and want. I’ve had two Open Houses and one Leadership Forum. I’ve sent out a survey to obtain opinions on Land Use. I’m looking for effective ways to communicate with people. There will be more mailings.”

He’s pragmatic and understands that “if we take care of a problem, that comes at a cost. If we can spread a service over a larger area, the cost is lower. We need to strive to be financially stable.”

Tim has learned his powers are limited. “Sometimes I have to tell people there isn’t money for what they want. Some requests are outside my area of jurisdiction.”

Although Tim is a B.C. Ambulance paramedic and operates a small farm, he finds time for community events. When Hedley’s water system was not functioning for a few days, Tim showed up at a Community Club lunch pushing a dolly loaded with bottled water. Last week he manned a table at the ChuChuWayHa Health and Wellness Fair.

I’ve been surprised at how often he shows up in our community, engaging in conversations. “I love talking with band elders,” he said. “I also enjoy conversations with Ralph McKay about Hedley’s mining history, and with Gerry Wilkin at the Museum.” He is aware many people in Area G are retired and elderly. It concerns him that they are often socially and physically isolated, with few services.

At the end of our conversation Tim said, “Change is coming. We can’t know what it will look like, but I want us to be prepared to respond.” He paused, then said, “We need to think about what we want for our children and grandchildren in the next 30 years. We are the only area that doesn’t have an Official Community Plan (OCP). That will take about two years to develop. I’m looking for ideas.” Then he was gone, probably to another appointment or meeting.

Tim Roberts is collaborative, a team player. Certainly not a baby kissing, back slapping, photo-op politician.

ChuChuWayha Health and Wellness Fair

Raina Dawn Lutz, a Registered Health Nutritionist, gave a presentation during lunch.

Over many years, I’ve come to understand that when calamitous circumstances enter my life, they usually arrive unanticipated and unannounced. Sometimes I’ve berated myself, asking, “Why didn’t I see it coming? Why didn’t I prepare?” This laxity is not unique to me, of course. It’s an integral aspect of being human. At least in part, the problem arises because we’re preoccupied and may not have easy access to those who can advise us.

The Upper Similkameen Indian Band (USIB) understands that lack of preparedness is an issue also for its members, and is taking steps to bring awareness, knowledge and resources to the reserve. For Linda and me, attending the band’s ChuChuWayha Health and Wellness Fair last Tuesday was surprisingly useful in preparing for challenging, unanticipated events. The forum was directed primarily at band members but much of the information pertains also to Hedley citizens. The community was invited.

Lesli Lorincz

Lesli Lorincz, band Home and Community Health nurse explained the purpose of the forum. “We want to give our people an understanding of the services available to them,” she said. “We also want to acquaint service providers with an awareness of our community. It’s important for them to know that when they send someone home from the hospital, if there is an emergency, the patient cannot be quickly returned.” She emphasized this is true also for the entire Similkameen community, She said the band is interested in more interaction with the people of the town of Hedley.

Tim Roberts

One of the service providers present was Tim Roberts, representing the B.C. Government’s Community Paramedic Medicine Program. He distributed a brochure with information for developing an emergency household preparedness plan. One suggestion was particularly important for parents of young children. “Pack an envelope in your child’s backpack that contains your contact information, a recent photo of your family, health information and special requirements of the child, plus out of town contact information.” The brochure recommends preparing a “grab and go” list. Also, it reminds us to plan for the safety of pets.

We spoke briefly with Tracy Mooney, an Aboriginal Employment Advisor with Community Health Services Centre in Kelowna. She offered a chart showing the level of education needed for positions in the health industry, beginning with senior secondary graduation. Other positions require one to five years of higher education. Five years of university are needed for top positions. Tracy appears to be an excellent resource for band youths charting their future employment.

Breezy Whitney & Brenda Wagner

At noon, Brenda Wagner, a band employee informed us lunch would be served upstairs. We had not anticipated this so it was a welcome surprise. Brenda called the group to order and with great reverence expressed gratitude to The Creator for the meal. Brenda and Breezy Whitney, a band member, had prepared a large pot of chicken stew and another of beef stew. Along with rice, a platter of raw vegetables and other items, it was a sumptuous meal. For dessert, Breezy had prepared a large bowl of pink yogurt with frozen fruit, a dish designed to excite the palate. I confessed to Linda later I had indulged in a second generous helping.

In a talk during lunch, Raina Dawn Lutz, a Registered Health Nutritionist (RHN), presented an assortment of very sensible, practical thoughts about food and its consumption. “Eat all food groups,” she advised. “Be sure this includes plenty of fruits and vegetables.” She isn’t a fan of supplements but said if we do use them, we should look for quality, not for the least expensive brand. She stressed the value of chewing our food well and urged us to be mindful while eating. “Drink plenty of water, at least 6 cups each day,” she said. “It promotes body functions.” I asked Raina later how much water she drinks. “Six to nine cups a day,” she replied without having to think about it. Her flawless skin, trim figure and abundance of energy and humour suggested she practises what she advocates.
Life holds many uncertainties. Whether they are in the realm of health, finances, employment, relationships, environmental disaster, or other, it is tempting to believe they will not overtake us. Too many of us live in a state of denial. For me the fair was a reminder that we need to be aware and proactive. We can take steps to avoid at least some calamitous pitfalls lying hidden in our path. It begins with a decision.

Volunteer And Avoid A Lacklustre Life

Peggy Terry welcoming people & selling tickets at the pancake breakfast.

I have many times observed people smiling broadly, in some cases gently massaging stomachs, after enjoying the monthly pancake breakfast at the Hedley Seniors’ Centre.  A full breakfast includes 2 pancakes, 2 eggs and 2 sausages or strips of bacon. At $5.00 per plate, it’s a deal no restaurant can match. This month 140 patrons from all over the Similkameen Valley indulged. Popular and highly affordable, this meal is made possible by big hearted, unpaid local citizens, some well into the seventh decade or beyond. At the grill or scurrying about delivering plates of delicious hot food, they bring a note of cheer into the lives of their customers. Volunteers everywhere have this uplifting effect on their community.

When I heard that Peggy Terry, one of these stalwart community minded citizens has a for sale sign in front of her home and will soon leave Hedley, I wondered about the future of the pancake breakfast. I also experienced a twinge of anxiety for the Hedley Museum, Community Club, Fire Department and Hedley Improvement District (HID). As in most small towns, the doors of these organizations are kept open almost entirely by volunteers. They are a blessing to their community, but there are rarely enough of them. If too many younger individuals choose to remain uninvolved, will there be a pancake breakfast in 5 years? Will the museum continue to tell the story of our community’s past and serve lemon and apple pie and coffee? Will we have competent trustees in the HID? We need to be aware that everywhere many committed, contributing citizens like Peggy Terry are approaching an age when they will need to retire.

Recently Lynn Wells sent a letter to members of the Hedley community telling us we are needed to help at the Seniors’ Centre. She didn’t receive even one response. Is the next generation too immersed in personal pursuits to understand the benefits of accepting the baton that is being offered to them?

Very likely many people do not understand there are myriad benefits. Some are highly personal. The smile adorning Peggy’s face while greeting people arriving at the pancake breakfast suggests serving others gives her a joy that overrides even the significant discomforts of arthritis. In a recent conversation in our home she said, “I’ve had plenty of fun in my volunteer roles over the years, and I’ve met lots of great people.”

For young individuals volunteering can be an effective means of exploring career interests and giftings. It may opens doors to employment interviews. For me
volunteering set the direction for much of my entire career. While still a student at SFU I became a volunteer with an organization helping prison inmates prepare for re-entry into their community. In addition to interacting with inmates, I developed relationships with prison counsellors, custody officers, and parole officers. After graduating, a key position in the organization opened. The board of directors decided my experience and connections had prepared me for this role.

Serving our community offers opportunities to develop skills and understandings that enable us to go beyond our self imposed limits. I was still young and had much to learn when I was invited to become a member of the Matsqui Institution Citizens Advisory
Committee. The other members were already well established in careers. Among them were a realtor, radio broadcaster, and parole officer. Sitting in the prison board room with these seasoned individuals I learned some important lessons while negotiating with prisoners and with prison personnel. This early experience has helped me many times in other committee situations and in one-on-one interactions.

At times we may feel inadequate for a particular role. Anita Roddick, founder of “The Body Shop” counters this fear with the advice, “If you think you are too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room.”

For individuals trapped in unfulfilling employment or lacklustre retirement, volunteer service can be uplifting emotionally and psychologically. In “Tribe”, Sebastian Junger says, “Humans don’t mind hardship, in fact they thrive on it. What they do mind is not feeling necessary.” In Hedley, and almost certainly in every Similkameen community, there exist an abundance of challenging, important roles that will help us feel necessary. Now that the summer sun is no longer luring us to the beaches, it’s a great time to expand our horizons and create communities people enjoy.

Hedley Makers Come Out Of The Closet

Some of Karen Cummings creations.

The “Makers of Hedley” are going to let us in on their secret lives this weekend. They’re coming out of the closet in a very public way. Talking with a few of them last week, I sensed their excitement at finally finding the courage to cease hiding a vital aspect of who they are. The “Makers” are talented, but in most cases, unsung amateur artists.

Karen Cummings has a bold vision for shining a light on the work of these creative individuals. An artist herself and an organizer with marketing skills, she and fellow artist, Penny Escott, have put together a Makers Tour that is a first in Hedley.

Often people have difficulty admitting they are artists,” Karen said. “They fear rejection. That’s why we’re calling ourselves Makers.” The term does lower the expectation level and is apparently comfortable for those participating. This weekend, June 8 and 9,  they will open their homes, studios and workshops to the public.

Maura Halliday & her son Dusty are Makers of Hedley.

Linda and I chatted with several Makers recently and found they are an eclectic collection of individuals practising diverse art forms. Maura Halliday, a pretty brunette silversmith, is a young mother. Before she and her husband moved to Hedley last fall, Maura worked in the movie industry specializing in prosthetic sculpting, painting and air brushing. “I love stones and silver,” she said, holding a display featuring intricate jewelry. “All my creations are handmade. My son Dusty is a year and a half and he wants to get his little fingers into the materials I work with. That’s unhandy so I work at it only when he’s sleeping.” She looks forward to meeting people and chatting with them.

Karen emphasized this will be a fun event. “It’s very much about meeting the artist. We want people to come and get to know us. The tour is free. There will be items for sale but you don’t have to buy anything, just come and enjoy.”

Tap Nevalainen holds a truck he made with wood.

Tap Nevalainen, once a builder of high rise structures, will display an intriguing array of wood creations. His fully loaded logging truck invariably draws my attention in his workshop. There are also a couple of other trucks, plus very authentic appearing bird houses, candle holders and barbeque scrapers. “I like to challenge myself by making something different,” he said. “Working with wood is fulfilling.”

Karen Cummings loves vivid colours.

Karen’s medium is fabric and she loves splashes of colour. The creations adorning her walls seem to challenge the viewer to ponder their meaning, but for her that isn’t what they’re about. “The important thing,” she said, “is does it make you happy.”

Eva Burnham, in her kitchen, ready to make fudge using her grandmother’s recipe.

Eva’s medium is quite distinct from the others on the tour. “I’ve been making fudge since my kids were young,” she said. “I got the recipe from my grandma. She watched me making a batch one day and offered to show me a simpler method. I’ve used her ingredients and process since then.” Her varieties include Chocolate Peanut Butter, Chocolate Orange and Ginger, White Chocolate Cranberry and Lemon. “The fudge is mouth watering yummy,” she said with bubbly enthusiasm. “It’s addictive.”

By seeing the creation and talking about it,” Karen believes, “ our life gets bigger. That makes us more inclusive. We come to realize not everyone is like us. As we become bigger, we can appreciate what is not familiar.” She paused a moment, then added, “there’s so much lousy stuff happening in the world. Seeing creative works can give us a more positive perspective.”

The tour will feature productions of 10 Makers, each site being identified by the presence of a pink flamingo. A map can be obtained at the Country Market and the Hedley Museum. Lunch consisting of a gourmet sandwich can be purchased at the Country Market. The Museum’s Tea Room will serve its highly acclaimed lemon and apple pies, and also coffee. Free tickets will be offered for 2 draws for $100.00 gift baskets. Visitors can enter the draw at every site, for a total of 10 chances. Sunday morning from 8 to 10 the Seniors’ Centre will serve it’s popular $5.00 Pancake Breakfast. Doors for the Makers Tour will be open from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.

The Makers Tour will provide an opportunity to dialogue with some pretty innovative thinkers and view what they have been creating behind closed doors. It may even inspire some timid souls to believe they too can create something that will bring enjoyment to others.

Wildfires, Devious, Insidious and Remorseless

Dave Stringfellow, Erris Fire Chief; Robin Ford, Hedley Firefighter; Doug Nimchuk, Deputy Hedley Fire Chief

We are becoming increasingly aware that wildfires can be as devious and remorseless as a corrupt politician. Until recent years, their destructive insidious nature existed mostly in the fertile minds of science fiction writers. Now, with the advent of climate change, fire departments even in small communities are striving to alert us to the potential hazards and make us aware of strategies we can employ to protect ourselves.

At a seminar organized by the Hedley Fire Department, Erris Fire Chief Dave Stringfellow told a sobering story of how a crafty fire can take advantage of our mistakes. “A fire department built a new fire hall using hardie board and metal roofing,” he said. “On the exterior, wood was used only for construction of the stairs. When there was a wildfire in the area, embers floated to lumber stored under the stairs, igniting a conflagration that burned down their brand new fire hall.”

Surprisingly, only 20 individuals attended this all important seminar. With many structures in the Similkameen Valley being of considerable age and surrounded by forest or grass, complacency seems particularly ill-founded. Reality does not cease to exist just because we ignore it. I’ve heard that some people forgot about the event and regret having missed it.

In Hedley, we saw last year just how quickly a fire can ravage a building. As has been extensively reported in the media, Trisha Mills and Bill Carmichael scarcely had time to escape when their Hitching Post restaurant caught fire. Serious injuries changed their lives, possibly forever. Ken Hoyle, manager of the Hedley Fire Department said, “If there had been wind that night, a number of Hedley structures would almost certainly have burned.”

Fire departments throughout our province are becoming deeply concerned about the danger wildfires pose for their communities. I understood the preoccupation with interface fires more clearly when Fire Fighter Robin Ford said, “Forty percent of wildfires are started by humans and they can travel rapidly. One fire raced the distance of 6 football fields in one minute. The most common loss of homes is by burning embers, not by a wall of flame. Embers can travel 5 to 15 kilometers. Debris in gutters, dry grass, trash around buildings make it easy for them to ignite a fire that can burn one or more homes.”

Ford advocated for masks in the home to protect against smoke. “Also, a 6 ml tarp over your wood pile or patio is a shield against embers,” she said. “Patio chair cushions ignite easily so it’s best to remove them.” She recommended a sprinkler system available from some fire departments.

Maureen Parsley, Director of Princeton Emergency Support Services

Maureen Parsley, Director of Princeton Emergency Support Services said, “It’s wise to plan in advance and do what you can to minimize the risks. It’s important to have a bag ready to go with what you will need in an evacuation.” Her list includes items like medications, clothes, shoes, a rope, toilet paper, a solar blanket, flashlight and batteries, cell phone and an adapter to charge the battery, bottled water, food, and much more.

Certainly in an emergency we don’t want to be frantically dashing around searching for car keys, wallet, eye glasses, dentures, or the lottery ticket on which rests our hopes for the future. We will want enough gas in the tank to get to a safe place.

Many local B.C. fire departments and other agencies offer helpful advice on their website. Because Fort Mac Murray fire fighters experienced one of the most devastating fires on record, their website is also worth a look. In part, it says, “In most instances, we will have only 3 minutes to escape from a burning home. Prepare and practise a fire escape plan. Have a designated meeting place for the family outside the home. Do a fire drill 2 times each year. This should include pressing the smoke alarm button to ensure everyone will recognize the sound in an emergency. Know how to use a fire extinguisher.

A good first step, in my view, is to begin talking about the threat of wildfires with our family and putting together a solid, practical plan based on the advice of our fire department. And when our fire department has a fund raiser hot dog sale we should indulge, even if it’s contrary to our weight loss diet. To defend our lives and homes, they need funds to acquire the best equipment available. It’s not science fiction anymore.

Speculation About Hedley Museum Piano

Museum secretary Ruth Woodin & archivist Gerry Wilkin at the piano.

I once considered museums to be mausoleums where communities preserve musty relics of doubtful value, gleaned from the past. When Linda became president of the Hedley Museum Society, I began to sense an unspoken expectation that I rise beyond this Dark Ages mind set and demonstrate at least a modicum of excitement. Wanting to please her, I made the effort. Last week I was reminded, not for the first time, that museums can be a source of fascination and even mystery. It happened without any great fanfare when several ladies, preparing for the May 1 opening, decided the ancient, no longer functioning piano, should be moved from its honoured place in the Tea Room. I had long taken the instrument for granted, but it’s proposed new placement stirred my curiosity about its past.

I appealed to museum archivist Gerry Wilkin for guidance. A few days later he emerged from the bowels of the museum triumphantly clutching a letter. Dated June 26, 1998, the letter was from Alice Zunti, who had donated the piano. It stated, in part, “In 1969, my parents bought a house in Hedley with all the furnishings, including the piano. My mother had many hours of enjoyment on that old piano. She died in 1977, having worn out the poor instrument. I was told it came out of the Hedley Saloon. The Penticton Piano House told Dad there were only 3 ever made. They were barroom pianos. My mother’s name was Dorothy Ann Bewick. I think she would be happy to know it’s back in Hedley. I’m glad to have a safe place for it.”

I knew at one time there had been six hotels in Hedley and I wondered if the saloon Alice mentioned had been in one of them. I called Jim Cade, who spent most of his growing up years in Hedley. The Cade name is still well known in town because Jim’s father operated a saw mill here and was a prominent member of the community.

I don’t remember the Hedley Saloon,” he said, “but the hotels all had pubs. I recall that when my parents first arrived in Hedley in 1947 with us 6 kids, we had breakfast in the Great Northern Hotel. It had a pub and a good sized restaurant.”

Great Northern Hotel and Armitage Garage, ca. 1940 – photo courtesy of Hedley Historical Museum Society

Helen Moore, now in Penticton, first lived here from 1936 to 1946. She also remembers the Great Northern. “Men and women went in by separate entrances. After the mines closed, the Great Northern burned down.”

On December 9, 1909, the Hedley Gazette, now defunct, reported that “Thomas Bradshaw will take possession of the Great Northern Hotel on the 15th.” He had until that time owned and operated a “road house” at 16 Mile Creek, also known as Bradshaw Creek. It had long been a place where stage coaches stopped for the night.

Bradshaw Landing by H. Barnes, photo courtesy of Hedley Heritage Museum Society

According to the late Maggie Kruger, a local indigenous elder, “Mrs. Bradshaw had an old saloon with a few rooms for rent. The pack train hauled in the whiskey barrels from Hope. They bottled the whiskey and served it at the saloon.”

It is possible the piano was first lodged in the “roadhouse” saloon, then moved to the Great Northern when Thomas Bradshaw acquired it. When the mines closed, hotel business virtually ceased. According to this scenario, the piano would have been sold and removed before the Great Northern burned. This is speculation on my part.

The piano, made by Collard and Collard, one of Europe’s most successful piano manufacturers, is not an instrument of mediocre calibre. One of the partners, FW Collard, was regarded as a mechanical genius. The company’s instruments were a sensation across Europe.

Having a metal frame, the piano is heavy and difficult to move. The ladies had not yet recruited anyone for this challenging undertaking when two Port Alberni men showed up. Linda and vice president Debra Pearson glanced at each other with the same thought. “We’re not open for the season yet,” Linda said with her most winning smile, “but if you help us move our piano, we’ll let you look around.” They agreed enthusiastically and proved to be resolute and resourceful. First they unscrewed and moved a cabinet. Then, with much exertion and heavy breathing, they transported the instrument on a dolly. It now stands quite majestically in its new location. The Hedley Historic Museum may be the only one in Canada with a piano it its washroom.

Walter Despot of Keremeos

Walter Despot on the deck of his home in Keremeos.

I might easily have concluded Walter Despot was dealt a pretty decent hand at the outset of his life. He’s been a pharmacist in his own successful pharmacy, mayor of Keremeos for 3 terms and chaired committees that brought significant positive change to the Similkameen Valley. In an extended conversation with Walter and Barbara in their comfortable Keremeos home, I was particularly interested in the thinking that made him an effective leader.

My father passed away when I was 5,” he began. “Mom had emigrated from Poland in 1924 with only a grade 2 education and initially didn’t speak English. She had 4 kids to feed and clothe. In spite of her lack of means, she understood clearly it was important that her children attend university. I caught her vision. More than anyone else, her thinking and words have profoundly shaped my values and decisions.”

Walter and Barbara attended the same school beginning in grade 3. Over the ensuing years a friendship developed and flowered into love. Barbara was 19 and Walter 20 when they were married. She worked at what was then B.C. Tel and Walter attended UBC.

My older brother was a pharmacist and I decided to follow in his footsteps,” Walter recalled. “We needed to be careful with money. I hitchhiked in from the university gates to save the 10 cent bus fare so I could buy a coffee. We lived in a third story apartment. There was a shared bathroom on the second floor and a phone on the main floor.” Barbara smiled and nodded at the memory.

At age 22, Walter received his pharmaceutical licence and 3 months later Barbara delivered twins. Although he was hired by Cunningham Drugs, there were no thoughts of a spending spree. “We didn’t go out for dinners,” Barbara said. “We walked a lot.”

Possibly it was the early influence of his mother that gave him the desire to have his own store. “You can’t stand still or you’ll die on the vine,” he observed. In May, 1964, they bought the Keremeos Pharmacy. “It was the only store in B.C. I could afford,” he said. “It was the best move we could have made,” Barbara added.

Looking around and talking with neighbours in their new community, Walter and Barbara became aware of possible changes and improvements. Rather than complain, they embraced opportunities to make a difference. Walter participated on the committee that secured a full-time doctor for Keremeos in 1975. He joined the Fire Department and served 40 years, three as chief. He gave 22 years to the ambulance service as a paramedic. “Initially we were volunteers,” he said. Somehow he also found time to serve as part-time coroner for about 15 years.

Chairing the group that built the Diagnostic Centre with its 25 residential care spaces was particularly rewarding. “It’s probably the most important accomplishment of my life,” he said. From 2002 to 2016 he was chair of the Board of the Lower Similkameen Community Services Society, guiding the development of numerous vital services valued by Keremeos citizens, including three residences for seniors.

As he accepted new roles and responsibilities, his leadership skills and experience grew incrementally. After selling the pharmacy in 1998 he was drawn into politics. “I didn’t think of myself as a mover and shaker,” he said, “Being mayor was never in the cards, but as you gain experience you move ahead.” Speaking of his time as mayor he was lavish in his appreciation of others.“I had very good councilors. That made it a lot easier. Also, Barbara and I have always been a team.”

For 7 years he chaired the Regional Hospital District Board which planned for the expansion of Penticton Regional hospital. “This was one of my biggest challenges ever. We were told there wasn’t money for it. I’ve learned that when you’re told something can’t be done, you should find a way.” Now, after 18 years, the Tower is serving the people.

Although he often played a key role, there was no hint of boasting when he spoke of his participation in community projects. “It took the involvement of a lot of people.” At the end he said, “Barbara and I are thankful for what we’ve had and we look forward to what we can still do.” About to celebrate 60 years together, Walter and Barbara both appear fit and ready for further adventures. Walter still hopes to travel abroad. Somewhere his mother is probably smiling.

Walter & Barbara Despot